Hull City bid for Jordan Rhodes is ‘dead and buried’

Steve Bruce has admitted that Hull City’s bid for Blackburn’s Jordan Rhodes is ‘dead and buried’ reports the Guardian. The Tigers are busily searching for another striker before the transfer window closes, having sold Shane Long to Southampton earlier in the summer.

Bruce pocketed £12 million via the surprising transfer of Long to Saint Marys, and is keen to spend the majority of that fee before the transfer window closes in 5 days time. The Yorkshire club have Nikica Jelavic leading their frontline, but they had been keen on the prospect of bringing Rhodes to the Premier League to act as Jelavic’s playing partner.

For Bruce, however, the prospect of signing Rhodes is no longer available. ‘It’s dead and buried,’ Bruce said of the deal. ‘We got an indication from Blackburn that they were willing to do a deal and that obviously changed in 24 hours.’  The Tigers boss was clearly frustrated at how negotiations have broken down with the Championship club, saying ‘If they’d have said that to start with – that he wasn’t for sale no matter what we wanted to do – then fine, we’ll walk away. But unfortunately it gets a bit protracted.’

With 53 goals in 93 Championship appearances, Rhodes would have represented an exciting young prospect had Hull have signed him. However, last year’s FA Cup finalists are now looking at other forward targets, about which Bruce is keeping tight-lipped. It is expected that the Tigers will make at least one new addition to their up front ranks however, as they look to mount a strong surge up the Premier League table next year.

Updated: August 28, 2014 — 10:43 am
AstralFootball.com © 2013 Frontier Theme