Harry Redknapp claims that Tottenham Hotspur accepted a cut-price offer from his QPR side after larger bids from Russia, claims ITVsport.
The ex-Spurs boss claims his previous club turned down around £15 Million from Zenit St Petersburg for Sandro earlier this summer, before accepting his deadline day bid of £10 Million.
Redknapp said: “I was surprised we were able to get him to be honest, and that he wasn’t playing more.
“I think Tottenham turned down a big bid from Zenit just before the start of the season.
“It was certainly four or five million more than we paid for him.
“So I couldn’t be more pleased to have him, he’s a great character, a good lad and I think he’ll be a great player for QPR.”
Harry signed Sandro for around £8Million for Spurs back in 2010, and clearly holds the player in high regard, but admits the player may take some time to get back to full fitness.
“I don’t know long he’ll need to be up to full speed,” said Redknapp.
“But he hadn’t played at all and there’s nothing like matches, until you get on the pitch you can’t bring it all together.
“It’s taking on the nerves, the adrenaline, all the training in the world doesn’t compensate for playing in 90-minute games, and that’s what several of them lacked.
“Sandro will be fitter on Saturday than he was last week and he’s going to be a great player for us.”
The 25 year-old was once a key feature for Tottenham and even earned the nickname ‘beast’ for his use of strength and power in the central midfield role, but fell out of favour following a season-ending knee injury 18 months ago and has since seen the arrival of Etienne Capoue and Paulinho for competition.
Harry once knew how to get the best out of the Brazilian, and time will tell whether they can reignite the ‘beast’ that once was.